Friday, May 15, 2009

IVF#4 - FSH Day 9 Monitoring

Wowser, my follies really took off today, it's looking good! The nurse said they would really be on the fence about whether to trigger me tonight or tomorrow. Looking at my follies, I was in agreement about being on the fence.

B/W was not too fun. The blood was just dripping into the vial instead of flowing. I was worried my E2 was causing dehydration. It took awhile to get the vial full, I had to keep pumping my fist. Another nurse saw this and asked me to come into her room. She examined my arm and said that I was not dehyrated and that the other nurse missed my vein. You can clearly see my vein and the puncture spot is right beside it. I'm not having much luck with b/w these days. Anyway, the nurse gave me a heat pack to use for tomorrow to get my vein nice and ready.

After I returned to the hotel and really scrutinized my last 4 IVFs, comparing numbers, sizes, trigger timing, maturity, every detail... I changed my mind. I really felt that it would be best if I was stimmed for 1 more day. I feel that my maturity rate would be low if they triggered me tonight.

Last cycle, they tried to trigger me too early because they took me completely off Gonal and it stalled me. My biggest follie was 17mm and I knew it was too early. It was a stressful nightmare on Thanksgiving to get them to push me another day. But they did and it was definitely the right decision as I had 13 mature out of 23, it would have been much lower if I hadn't pushed for another night of stims.

So I decided that I wasn't going to wait for that stressful call tonight possibly telling me to trigger. I called my nurse and discussed my concerns of needing to stim another day and also to please not coast me tonight as it stalled me last time. She totally agreed that it's too early and that they don't need to coast me. She put this all in my notes for the doctor to read.

Just got my call and I'm so excited! Everything is going as hoped for. I'm not triggering tonight! They are lowering my Gonal from 150 to 75 and my Menopur in the morning from 2 to 1.

Here's today's results:

Lining: 10mm
Right ovary (mm): 9.4, 14.8, 17.2, 17.3, 17.8, 18.4, 23.3
Left ovary (mm): 12.1, 13, 15.4, 15.6, 15.6, 15.7, 16.9, 17, 17, 20.5
E2: 3226 (very happy with this, lowest it's ever been on this day!)
LH: 0.4
P4: 0.9

IVF#3 results as a comparison:

Lining: 11mm
Right ovary (mm): 12.3, 15.1, 16.3, 16.5, 16.7
Left ovary (mm): 12.7, 13.0, 13.5, 13.8, 14.1, 15.2, 16.2, 17.4, 17.7
E2: 3800
LH: 1.5
P4: 0.4

To answer a few of your comments:

Ashley, we are doing ICSI, I'm not sure what MICSI is.

KayJay, we are doing a lupron and novarel trigger to boost maturity. Schoolie put me on antagon so he had the option of triggering me with lupron and then he's adding in 1/4 of novarel as a boost.

Day 10 monitoring tomorrow. Until then, thanks for all your support!

PS... Kerry wanted to say thanks for all the stud comments!


  1. Wow girlie, this cycle appears to be going awesome!!! I'm very very hopeful!!!!!

    You're welcome Kerry:-)

    love ya!


  2. I found your blog through all the gals I visit. My hubby and I will be starting our IVF #4- well 2 full IVF's and 1 FET, so this is # 4 total! Praying for your dream baby!

  3. Wow - things are looking great. I am happy that you are not triggering tonight as it seems like a good decision. I'm excited for you. x

  4. Sounds good! Things are looking picture perfect.
    MICSI is super high magnification ICSI, where they look at the sperm under some 600000X mag microscope to look for craters in the head to try to pick the betstest ones. I think they only pull it out if you've had poor fertilization before.

  5. Your numbers are looking really good and I hope that the Lupron/Novarel trigger does the trick for you maturity wise. You did the right thing, calling your nurse back and discussing the trigger and your concerns rather than waiting for them to tell you. Way to take control! I will be watching closely to see what happens. Enjoy your injection free day after trigger when they decide to do that - seems so strange to keep shooting up so many times a day and then stop cold turkey! BTW, the hot pack really helps with the veins. I have deeply buried veins so I've had some plebotomists dig around before so I would remember that trick for the future.

  6. Sounds great! I'm so happy they were on board with what you thought - no coasting, no trigger shot just yet. I think this is going to be a great cycle! So, my guess is trigger tonight and ER on Monday, huh? Can't wait to hear about your ER. I hope you and Kerry are having fun in CO.

  7. What can I say that hasn't already been said...YEAH! And good for you for staying on top of things...thinkin' of ya...go follies! Smiles, Heidi


Thank you for your comment! Hugs, Kerry and Jill