Tyler's life this month in bullet points:
- For the first time, he didn't cry when we dropped him off at MDO. What ended up finally working was creating a little routine where I give him 3 big hugs and kisses and park outside the window so he can wave to me as I pull away. It only took 3.5 months!
- He loves making everything he wants to do sound like it was our idea. For example he'll ask us if we want to play cars with him. We'll say, "you want to play cars?" and he give an enthusiastic "okay!!!".
- He wrote his first letter, the letter T. He always says "down and across" every time he writes it.
- He started adding "y" to many of his words. Bug became buggy, etc.
- Let's go daddy-o!
- You're silly mommy!
- I think that's a good deal!
- I want lots of hugs and kisses!
- He stood on the coffee table and stared at me. When I didn't say anything he said "aren't you going to tell Tyler to get down off the table?".
- He started snorting when he laughs. He'll say "Oh, Tyler snorted!".
- At gymnastics, each child has to bring the coach the felt square they are sitting on when their name is called and tell the coach what color it is. On his turn, he handed the coach a pale pink felt square and the coach said "Tyler, what color is this?" He said "gray", she said "this is pink" and he said very seriously "actually it's gray".
- At Wholefoods, Tyler walked up to the bins of nuts and said "look mama, it's nuts!", I said "yeah, those are cashews" and he said "actually they're nuts mommy".
- I took him to the potty at the park restroom. On the way out, he was walking backwards saying "fix it mama, fix it mama". I had no idea what I was supposed to fix, then I found that I had pulled up his pants but not his underwear, oops!
- I looked at the monitor and didn't see him. I moved the camera around and found him sitting on his potty in front of his door gate. Kerry went up and found he was sleeping on the potty! He's so quiet in the morning that I must not have heard him get up.
- Tyler looked at Kerry and randomly said "Dada, you have a big ear and big hair!".
- He demanded "I want it!". I said "How do you ask me nicely?". He said "Can I please want it?".
- While going down the stairs I asked him if he wanted me to make him lunch and he said "I think that is a good deal". When Mimi asked him if he wanted to go to the kitchen, he said "I think that is a great deal".
- I went up to get Tyler from his bedroom in the morning. I asked him if he had any accidents last night and he said "I had 1 accident, not 2, just 1".
- I bought a used iPad off of eBay to use as a DVD player in the car. I told Tyler I had a surprise for him as I held the iPad behind my back. He jumped up and down in circles and exclaimed "Alright! Tyler do the happy dance!". He then closed his eyes and held out his hands. I put the iPad in his hands and he exclaimed "iPad!!!!" then he tossed it aside and said "Mommy, get a car car instead?". I know he's obsessed with cars, but this takes it to a whole nuther level.
- Mimi had Ty help her make meatloaf. She plunged his hands into it and he yelled "Wash hands! Wash hands!". This kid does not like getting his hands dirty.
- Kadi asked him what he wanted to be when he grows up, he said "I want to be a policeman so I can ride around in a police car with black wheels and turn it on and go WeeeRrrr WeeeRrrr".
- He sees daddy wear a tie to work every morning. One day I put his little tie on before going into a party and he said "Tyler go to work?".
- Papa gave him a new car. It had two screws holding it in place. Papa said he had to go get a screw driver. Ty dug in his toy tool box and ran his toy screw driver over to Papa.
- Tyler pretended to fly his cars to the moon and when I asked him what they saw from the moon he said "oh just some planets".
- I was looking for his water and asked him if it was upstairs and he said "ummm, I bet it is!".
- In the past I had taught him how to eat scrambled eggs by poking the big pieces with a fork and scooping the smaller pieces. One day we were eating scrambled eggs together and he said "let's poke and scoop mommy!".
- He put his noodle in time out for 2 mins! When Austin asked him what for, he said "I don't know".
- He grabbed daddy's electric shaver and said "Tyler shave, shave all my whiskers off?". I told him he was too young to shave and doesn't have any whiskers. He said "I shave my whiskers when I get big like daddy and wear big pants and big shirts just like daddy?".
- Whenever I let Tyler watch his youtube videos, I say "skip ad!" and click the skip ad link as soon as it lets me. He eventually learned how to skip ads by himself on my iPhone. The other day we had the tv on and he was watching Busytown. When a commercial came on, he ran over and grabbed the remote, pointed it at the tv and started yelling "skip ad!... skip ad!... SKIP AD!!!".
- I peed right after Tyler, he came running in and said "hey mommy, you're peeing on Tyler's pee!" and when I stood up he said "hey mommy, your pee is yellow!".
- Kerry lifted his shirt, grabbed his belly and said "Tyler, this is lots of fat!". Tyler said "and hair!".
- Tyler noticed an old phone in Mimi's living room. He stared at it for a bit and asked "what's that?" as he pointed at the curly cord attached to it.
This month in video:
The big 40!
I turned the big dreaded 40 this month. I say dreaded because I was really hoping to be one of those women that everyone tells me about, the ones that unexpectedly conceive naturally after a major struggle with infertility. We contemplated IVF again but just couldn't get peace about going through all that again given the enormous cost with no guarantees. If it was guaranteed to work, we would have done it in a heartbeat... but the guilt would have been enormous had it not worked, knowing that I could have used that money for something like Tyler's college fund. Being in limbo, hoping it would happen on its own but not knowing if it would ever happen hasn't been super fun. I told myself that I would let it go if it hadn't happened by time I hit 40, and so I have now let it go. If it was to happen, we would be overjoyed, but I'm done wishing and hoping for it because apparently that's just a waste of my time and I have too much to be thankful for. Tyler has made me the luckiest mom in the world and if he's all I ever have, he is more than enough. Sorry little man that we weren't able to give you a little sibling to grow up with. I'm sure you are thrilled with that now because you like having mommy and daddy all to yourself, but someday, if you ever wish differently, I'm so sorry, we tried.
Anyway, Kerry gave me the best birthday ever! First he surprised me with a brand new 2013 Toyota Highlander, in white because he said there would be nothing black or over the hill for his gal. I had been driving a 96' Grand Am for about 16 years, with crank windows and no remote anything and now I'm like "what do I do with this remote?". All of a sudden turning 40 wasn't so bad! As if that wasn't enough, he surprised me with a limo filled with friends and family, chocolate covered strawberries and a night out dancing. I think I got a keeper in that husband of mine!