Saturday, July 3, 2010

Birth Story - Part I: Laboring at Home

Monday June 21, 2010

11:00 pm
While Kerry was doing my perineum massage, he exclaimed; OMG, what is this on my thumb??? I looked at it and said; OMG, I think you unplugged me, I think that's my mucous plug! It was a big glob of thick white and opaque gel-like substance, but had no pink/red to it like I had expected. We weren't totally sure it was my plug, but decided to stop the massage just in case.

11:30 pm
Felt a warm trickle. Ran to the bathroom but didn't see anything except a clear wet spot on my undies.

Tuesday June 22, 2010

1:00 am, 4:00 am
Clear warm trickle.

5:00 am
Clear warm trickle with faint pink on toilet paper and small amount of faint pink mucous in the toilet.


5:30 am
Sporadic abdominal cramps started.

6:00 am
Went to the bathroom and noticed a red blob in the bottom of the toilet, I assume this is what they call bloody show.

6:28 am
While laying in bed, I felt an enormous pop in my uterus. I knew right away that my water had broke. I ran to the bathroom. Kerry was standing in the doorway and I had to yell, move move move! I sat down on the toilet and there was a huge gush of clear/pinkish fluid with pieces of vernix in it. Contractions followed at every minute lasting 30 seconds each. They felt like intense menstrual cramps.

I went into warp speed mode, jumping in the shower, yelling from the shower what all I needed packed into the hospital bag. I called the doula, she asked for my stats and determined that I was in the very beginning putzy stages of labor and to eat a good breakfast and walk around and that she would head over after showering.

We decided to take our 40 week belly shots as the end of this pregnancy was inevitable. I will miss this belly and getting to feel Tyler move around. I have loved being pregnant.


Ok, so I won't miss the swelling at all! My poor legs and feet! Even my face was starting to swell.



I found swaying on the birth ball helped me get through the contractions a little easier.


My doula:


Timing contractions:


Video Diary - Intro:


Video Diary - Contraction:


Contractions increased in intensity, I could no longer smile through them. They were about 3-5 mins apart and lasted 45 seconds to 1 min. I continued to walk laps around the house, stopping to get through each contraction by leaning over and swaying.


Video Diary - Another contraction:


Video Diary - About to head to hospital:


12:50 pm
Headed to the hospital.

Video Diary - Heading to hospital:


To be continued...

11 comments:

  1. Love the videos and can't wait to see the rest. wouls be happy to come up and sit with Tyler while you get the rest of the birth story on the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep em coming! Your contraction video was giving me flashbacks to my labour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Kate said.....major flash backs going on here......ugggghhh I sooooo remember every second of it with both of my boys. You were brave and very ingenious to film these....I didn't want anyone looking at me or talking to me during labor....so way to go!

    Can't wait to hear the rest of the story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, you better post the rest soon, I'm on the edge of my seat!!! LOL

    And I'm getting all weepy remembering my laboring with Caleb and Mary. UGH THAT HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT! UGH UGH UGH!!!!!!!!! But I also look at them now and marvel and I hope that I get to go through that torture yet again some day. LOL!!

    Can't wait to hear the rest of your story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    And especially to see more pics and vids of your little precious punkin! He makes it all worth it, doesn't he?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww, so exciting to be a part of your birth story through the blog & videos!! Can't wait for the rest!!

    Been thinking about you lots and know that you're enjoying your son!!

    Love to the 3 of you,
    The Other Jill

    ReplyDelete
  6. so who won the contest? This is Tricky359 and if I won, I'd send you the gift card right back as a push preset. Your baby is so beautiful.

    Tricky

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jill and Kerry, absolutely amazing! Thank you for letting us share such a special moment with you both. We are about to begin IVF #3 and, ever since we found your blog around week 25, you have given us inspiration. Hope to "join the club" someday soon! Will definitely be readling back through your blog - often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait for the rest!! You actually smiled during contractions - you give me hope!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like such a beautiful story! I sooo wish my water broke naturally! You look so pretty as you are laboring that I am jealous:-) I know it was hard...very hard. Never felt pain like that before, lol, but it was so worth it, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you've captured the adventure on both video and photos! Can't wait to see the rest :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! Hugs, Kerry and Jill