Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Tyler: 16 Months

September 24-October 23, 2011 (15 to 16 months old)





I think he's had it with his 16 month photo shoot!

Well visit @ 15m3d:
  • Weight: 21 lbs. 13 oz. (35th %tile)
  • Height: 31" (50th %tile)  ---  He's half of me now!!!
  • Head Circumference: 18" (20th %tile)

Tyler had the dr. laughing so hard.  She walked in, he looked right at her, reached down, grabbed one side of his cloth diaper velcro and rrrr-rip!  Then he grabbed the other side... rrrr-rip!  He stood there all naked like, hey lady, check out my goods!

Tyler's not the only funny guy in my house, here's Kerry trying to make an upset Tyler laugh with "Tyler, what does a cow say?"


What's new with Tyler?
  • He now walks up the stairs on his own using the spindles.
  • He can open and close all interior doors.
  • He can reach the top of our table/counters (which also means the stove).  More baby proofing to be done!  We have to make sure we don't leave anything near the edge, ie knives, water glasses, etc.  He definitely keeps us on our toes!
  • He lifts his leg when he wants up on furniture.  He just stands there like a dog peeing.
  • He loves riding his 5ft tall stuffed giraffe.  Every night before bed he asks to ride Mr. Jaff.  I put him on, gallop and yell giddy-up!  He hugs Jaff's neck and kicks his legs.  He never wants it to end.
  • He's obsessed with chairs and will push them all over the house.  When we go to the chiro, he steals all the chairs from the kiddie area and pushes them across the building.
  • He knows how to unlock, open and close the dishwasher.  Removing all of the dishes from the bottom basket is fun!
  • He started doing peek-a-boo.  He covers his eyes with his hands, book or blanket while we look around saying, "Where's Tyler?  Tyler?  Where are you?".  He cheats so bad, he'll have one eye completely peeking through 2 wide spread fingers, it's so funny!  He then removes his and hands and we say "There you are!" and he just grins ear to ear.
  • He puts my hand on things he wants.  I'll be sitting there and all of a sudden he lifts my hand and puts it on my cell phone.  He'll keep putting my hand on the phone until I pick it up.
  • He now does the popular "pound it" handshake where you pound fists together.  He thinks it's so cool, especially when I add the "explode" after it.  If I stop before he's done, he'll pick up my hand and put it in place to pound again.
  • He likes to admire works of art.  He hovers his hands over things like a container of flowers or a tower I built out of blocks and really admires them while grinning and saying "ohhhh".  About then another child will come by and rip up the flowers or knock the tower down.
  • He discovered my nose holes.  He likes to stick his fingers up them while he's nursing.
  • He's starting to point with his index finger vs his whole hand.  He points to items in a book when I ask him to.
  • We started working on body parts and so far he'll point to his toes and tongue.
  • Last month he hated socks, pulled them off and even pulled mine off.  Well now he likes socks.  He brings me mine and tries to put them on by laying them over my toes. 
  • Wanting to be held all the time has gone to a whole nuther level.  He uses us to get to things he wants like door knobs and light switches.
  • He now gives us kisses/hugs when we ask for them.  Heart melts!
  • He's very possessive of me.  If I pick up another child or one sits on my lap, he immediately gets upset, runs over and pulls the child by their ankles or sleeves.  If that doesn't work, he slides behind them and pushes them off.  He's gentle about it and fortunately doesn't hit or bite, but still not acceptable.  When I tell him that we share mama and mama has two legs to sit on, he gives me a serious look and starts signing milk really fast.  I guess that's pretty smart of him as he knows milk time is mama and son time.
  • He was labeled as a "fusser" by one of the nursery workers.  Sadly, she's right, at least when it comes to the nursery.  He does not like large groups of children nor likes to be without mama.  He will cling to an adult for most of the service.  I would love to attend regular play dates to expose him to more children, but all these play dates seem to be during the day ran by stay-at-home-moms.  This is the biggest downfall of being a working mom.
  • He likes my purse.  He carries it around and goes through all the pockets.  Amazingly he puts everything back when he's done, most of the time.  (my purse doesn't contain any pens, change or meds, so it's safe)
  • He loves helping us.  He brings us our shoes, helps unload the dishwasher, closes doors, puts items in baskets, brings us printouts off the printer.  It just amazes us when we ask him to do something and he does it.  We're like wow, he really understands what we're saying!
  • His new favorite thing to do in the shower is clean it!  He puts a rag in his bucket of water, rings it out, scrubs the floor/walls and repeats.  Unbelievable.  I took a video of it to show him later when he's a teen.
  • He's not always helpful, many times quite the opposite!  One of his new favorite things to do is pull all of Kerry's clothes off the hangers.
  • He started displaying an interest in his pee/poop.  He stares at it and if I'm not quick enough, he'll grab it.  Ahhhh!!!
  • He has 2 more molars coming in for a total of 3.  Molars are the worst!  I've had a cranky, needy, fussy, finger chewing toddler on my hands.  He refuses to eat and only wants to nurse.  He's woke to nurse 3-4x/night for a week on top of his regular all day nursing. I feel like we're back at the newborn stage, except this time I'm working a full-time job.  I am so exhausted I can barely function.  I wander all over the house wondering what I was looking for.  I went to clip his nails and almost felt too weak to squeeze the clippers.  How many more molars are to come???
  • On October 5th, we celebrated Tyler's 2 year transfer-versary!  Ok, we didn't really celebrate because frankly, we totally forgot about it, thanks to previous bullet point.
  • He can now bite off food.  Oh to not have to cut everything into bite sized pieces!  Wonderful!

New foods this month:

Thumbs up:
  • Cottage cheese
  • Anything cheese
  • Banana with peanut butter on it (yep, he is totally Kerry's kid)
Thumbs down:
  • Cod (his 1st taste of fish)
  • Pot roast

He's obsessed with cheese.  He points at it every time I open the fridge and signs "more".  He reaches and yells for it when he sees it in the grocery store.  If the store has cheese out for sampling, he keeps going back for more.



Language:

New sounds:
  • Snake (sssss)
  • Lion/Tiger/Bear - He makes the same growl sound for all.
  • Cat (meee)
New words:
  • Uh oh - He says uh oh every time he or we drop something.  He also says uh oh anytime we accidentally leave a baby gate open or a cabinet unlocked.  It's so funny, he'll open the gate/cabinet and look at us and say uh oh!
  • Banana (naaaaa-na)
New signs:
  • Mama - He surprised us with this one, we weren't even trying to teach it.
  • Cheese - He learned this one after only showing him twice, despite it being a more difficult one.  I think there was a lot of motivation, the boy love his cheese!  Now he signs cheese all day.
  • More
  • Shoes
  • Potty
  • Daddy - He won't say it, but at least he'll sign it!
  • Car

Tyler says mama constantly.  One day we were asking him the usual "Tyler, what does the cow say?  What does the monkey say?... insert several animals..."  Then Kerry out of the blue said "What does Tyler say?" and Tyler answers "mama".  We laughed so hard!

This month in photos:

He insisted on eating the banana himself!






Got yogurt?

Loving on Homey G

Out of all the pumpkins, he wanted to pick up the biggest one.



I totally took this little boy out when he ran right into our path!

Making the home boys proud!

He no longer wants to sit in his stroller, he wants to push it.

Such an amazing little helper, he vacuumed the entire nursery!

Driving at Chunk E Cheese




Matilda and Tyler enjoying their new couch and a good book.




1, 2, 3... and the winner is... Matilda!

Tyler and Matilda enjoying a good book on their plastic thrones.

This month in video:

Video:  Tyler sliding on his own

Video:  Tyler's animal sounds

Video:  What does Tyler say?  (after some very lazy animal sounds)

Video:  Tyler signing

Video:  Daddy tossing a toy is really funny!

Video:  Mama roaring is hilarious!


7 comments:

  1. So cute! I love the pics of Tyler and Matilda reading, they look like an old married couple.

    I'm so sorry (and a little scared!) to hear about the molars and lack of sleep. I hope they come in quick, and it is over and done with fast, and you get some zzzzzz's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love his curls....so cute. That's so cute about him wanting to ride his stuffed animal. He sounds like your typical busy busy boy.....into everything. I can't tell you the nursery/separation thing will get better....Cameron is two and still screams bloody murder when we drop him off.....he's very much a mama's boy....both my boys are. He will interact and play by himself for a bit but then he wants to be held by one of the ladies. I think it's pretty common.

    So, what is the purpose of teaching him sign language? Does that no discourage him from talking more?? Just curious...I never taught my kids to sign because I'd never heard of anyone doing that at that early of an age.

    Hope things are going good. Don't worry about stressing and trying to find a play group. He will eventually learn the social skills he needs. It's just a matter of the developmental thing. My kids both learned it just from going to church twice a week:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jill!

    Love all the photos/updates... I just wanted to comment in that you are not alone with the playdate issue. All the formal and informal playdates/toddler classes/story times etc in Las Vegas too are during the day which yes, is so frustrating for working moms!?

    Glad to hear just about everything else is going well however. :) Fine on this end...my son's vocabulary is growing by the day and it's so cool...wanted to know "what's in pantry" when asked what he wanted for breakfast today!

    Take care...Smiles, Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  4. That teething sounds awful! Can we skip that stage? :)
    Our daughter points too, with her long index finger and it's so cute. She points at EVERYTHING. And I need to send you the clothes my kids are outgrowing--they are close to 23 pounds at nearing one year. Sheesh. They are outgrowing them faster than I ever imagined! So why do I still stress over what they will/won't eat?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, sweet Lord, our boys have so much in common.
    The purse thing, the hold me so I can reach more stuff and switches, keeping the tables and counters clear, the peeing dog sign for up on the furniture, walking up the stairs by using thspindles, the constant chair rearrangement, the banana eating by himself, the sleep ruining molars...
    I hope you get some rest and well deserved sleep soon. If not, at least you can say you are tirrd, but never bored. :-) Tyler is a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh the baby giggles...they're so conatgeous! I probably looked so stupid laughing right along with Tyler and not at the toy being thrown, at his giggling, I swear!! He is so adorable! He looks like a tiny baby in that swing photo-awww! I need a baby to vaccuum my house...is he for hire? I could pay him with bananas or cheese! lol I love the animal sounds and the signing, he is very smart obviously! Your Mom tells me how amazing he is and all the new things he does each week...he's definately the apple of her eye! Give Tyler a hug from his great aunt Kook...take care and be well and thanks for sharing the best days of your life with all of us! Love Aunt Kook :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The couch scene is priceless but our favorite has to be the 2 giggling videos. Could this child be any cuter. Gpa Jerry LOVES seeing his curls cuz those are YOUR curls, Jill!! Love you all, Gpa Jerry & Gma Patti

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! Hugs, Kerry and Jill